If you suffer from poor sleep (insomnia) you probably know how tired you feel but did you know it can also account for all sorts of symptoms like irritability, weight gain, reduced immunity, inability to cope with stress and a lack of motivation.
I hope you can keep your eyes open long enough to read this!!
In the work I have done with people with sleep problems I’ve discovered a few areas which may help you too. Here are 8 simple ideas you could try yourself starting today.
- Cut out or reduce caffeine. (This can stay in your system for up to 9 hrs).
- Turn the alarm clock away from you, don’t fixate on it.
- Busy mind? Make a list before bed.
- Reduce alcohol/ stop smoking. Both produce chemicals which affect our ability to sleep.
- Don’t eat too late in the evening.
- Don’t toss and turn, your stress levels will rise, get up and do something restful that you enjoy until you feel sleepy again.
- Go to bed when you feel tired and not just because it’s your normal bed time.
- Don’t watch the TV or interact on the computer when in bed, in your mind lying down in bed should equate to sleep.